Sunday, August 3, 2014

Jonathan K. Rice- Three poems

At The Greek Festival
 
Ankle bracelet
& tattoo,
metallic turquoise
nail polish
& a silver ring
adorn her feet.
 
I notice from
the sidewalk
where I sit
eating souvlaki.
 
Bouzouki favorites
echo through
the neighborhood.
“Opa!” we shout
amid the sounds
& flavors
 
as tzatziki runs
down my beard
& my eyes run
up her tanned
brown thighs.



across the twilight
 
lightning bug,
mosquito, moth
 
do not require
air traffic control.
 
their knowledge
of flight
 
& aerodynamics
supercedes my own
 
as gravity and inertia
overtake me.
 


Solipsist Meltdown
 
Like a streetlight
that inexplicably
goes out whenever
I pass beneath it,
 
she strays the
boundaries
of my
imagination.
 
She is where
I least expect her
and nowhere
when I want her.
 
Every night
the same lamp
disappears
in the dark.
 
In synch
with anomalies
or just
bad timing,
 
I adjust
to avoid
unanswerable
questions.
 


Bio:  Jonathan K. Rice is founding editor and publisher of Iodine Poetry Journal, which is in its fifteenth year of publication. He is the author of a chapbook, Shooting Pool With A Cellist (Main Street Rag, 2003) and a full-length collection, Ukulele and Other Poems (Main Street Rag, 2006). His poetry has also appeared in numerous publications and he has been a longtime host of poetry readings in Charlotte, NC, where he lives with his family.  In 2012 he received the Irene Blair Honeycutt Legacy Award for outstanding service in support of local and regional writers, awarded by Central Piedmont Community College.

1 comment:

  1. Sensual and earthy. These are great together.

    ReplyDelete